Monday, April 16, 2007

Danger in our schools!

We have a clipping service at our job (I have ranted and railed about RSS, they can't hear me) and these two articles came up this morning, go look, I'll wait.

Greenville Hacker

and

Myrtle Beach Gunman

What I thought that was interesting was that each of these students were handled using the criminal justice system, with apparently different results, one has been charged, and one hasn't, guess which is which. Also, there is a lot of detail about the computer "hacking" student, and almost no information about the gun toter.

Security in schools is very important, and it requires attention. We have to work on physical security of the students and staff, AND we have to work on the security of the data. These should be easy to answer questions, but we aren't getting it done.

I have been thinking about these kinds of things for a long time, and I believe that we need to adjust our perspective about this as we would anything else. It has to be done right, and from the beginning. We are not seeing the leadership from the people involved needed to make a clear impact on kids and parents.

I am not saying I believe in zero-tolerance, but we must make a stand on violence and weapons in schools. If intent and purpose are clear, then students should not be allowed back in.

We also need to make data security a priority. Giving districts the guidance and templates for sound security policy is required of our state.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sadly the biggest catchphrase used is 'lessons will be learned' always following some massive incident claiming several lives. Those 'lessons' they 'learn' never seem to be passed on though. The same lessons need to be learned all over again when the next incident occurs (and it will).

I disagree - I think there should be zero tolerance of violence and weapons in schools.

Sorry that doesn't touch on your security of data issue, as you know I am pretty clueless on such details.